Thursday, February 7, 2013

Potty Training

 So yesterday Rian and I had our first parent teacher conference at Keegan's school. Talk about weird and serious realization that our kids aren't babies anymore. They are growing up so fast and I'm not okay with that. I feel like it was yesterday that I was bringing Keegan home to meet Dylan. At the same time though I feel like I've known my children for ages. If that makes any sense. At  the parent teacher conference lots of things where discussed. His behavior in school, how he's transitioning from one task to the next, his interaction with other kids as well as Potty training.
  I was completely overwhelmed at first by the thought of starting potty training with Keegan. It's very different in training children with autism opposed to other children, or maybe it has been just for me I don't know. I know with Dylan we began potty training a little before he had turned 2 and it was a breeze. I mean it's a lot easier when the child can tell you when it's time to use the restroom. Obvioulsy, with Keegan it's not that way so figuring out the best way to train him has been a group effort. We've been working on this since the begining of January.I had it in my mind that I would have him on the toilet with no help before winter break was over. Well that didn't happen and I'm not ashamed of that. Something's take time and some children develop at a different rate then others and that's okay too. For the past couple of weeks at school and at home its been where we put keegan on the potty every 15 minutes. Its the same routine everytime, I take his hand let him know we are using the potty and walk him to the bathroom. Its important that we stick to the same routine at home that he has at school so he doesn't become confused. I'd say that he is doing brilliantly, and I may be a little proud of myself as well. Stopping every 15 minutes to go to the restroom gets a tad old I'll be honest but Keegan is my priority and I'll do whatever it takes to help him progess in life. Even if it is just a little potty training :). We have had all dry underwears for the past couple days in this house and I am one proud mama! Next is to get him to take a number 2 on the toilet then we can really celebrate!!! woot woot!

No comments:

Post a Comment